You have all seen the advertising with the before and after pictures of the overweight frumpy unhappy person beside her own picture where she has her tummy pulled in, shoulders back, chest out, hair and make up done along with a spray tan, terrific smile and nicely sculpted body (air brushed folks!). There are thousands of “guaranteed” weight loss claims and many come in a bottle. Just one pill and you are guaranteed to lose weight. These are often not real or safe!
Why do we buy into these claims? Partly because 1 in 4 Canadians are obese and in an instant gratifications society; anything that sounds quick and easy is going to grab our attention.
Three years ago after suffering a brain bleed, the Neurosurgeon asked me a few questions about smoking, drinking and exercise. He also inquired if I took diet supplements (which I did not). He specifically mentioned a brand called Hydroxycut. CBC News reports “since 2007, Health Canada has issued warnings involving at least 170 weight-loss products, including the supplement Hydroxycut, which in the U.S. has been linked to at least a dozen cases of liver toxicity and one death”. My reasearch did not uncover any link to brain bleed activity but the question did peak my interest.
Sustained weight loss is never quick and easy and if you are the 1 in 4 people dealing with obesity, it was not quick and easy to get there and turning the situation around requires healthy choices and much effort.
Here are a few tips to make it possible to stick to a no nonsense, drug free weight loss plan:
- Follow Canada’s Food Guide for portion control and healthy balanced eating. Get a copy online.
- Create a daily meal plan and stick to it (check out Eat Right Ontario to get started)
- Eat 4-6 small meals a day
- Get Moving – walk, bike, take classes at the gym, LIFT WEIGHTS (did I mention my favourite!)
- Drink plenty of water (8 to 10 – 8 oz glasses a day)
- Sleep – get at least 8 hours of uninterrupted, restful sleep per night
- Meditate Daily – 15 minutes of “YOU” time without distraction
- Socialize, spend time with friends, LAUGH!
Remember, you only have one life to live, make it SO Full of LIFE!!
Next Time: Sugar, the not so sweet truth!!